RAMALLAH, June 21 (JMCC) - A Palestinian detainee earlier promised release started a new hunger strike Thursday after he was ordered imprisoned for an additional six months, a human rights group announced
The Israeli military decision to renew the detention of Hassan Safadi is a violation of a deal struck with Israeli officials in May after he and another four detainees refused food for two and a half months, said Addameer. The organization said it was outraged and warned of the consequences to Safadi's health.
Addameer went on to warn that Israeli officials were not honoring other parts of the agreement.
Hassan has been held in administrative detention since 29 June 2011 and this renewal of his detention is a blatant violation of the agreement between the prisoners’ hunger strike committee and Israeli officials. [...] Addameer additionally fears that his extension may indicate even more troubling breaches of the agreement to come, as there is now no guarantee that any of the long-term hunger strikers will be released upon their given dates.
In regards to the implementation of the agreement as a whole, one of the 19 prisoners in long-term isolation, Dirar Abu Sisi, has still not been moved to the general prison population, and an additional prisoner was moved to isolation last week. Furthermore, family visits to prisoners from Gaza have not yet resumed, though one month has passed since the agreement was signed. Addameer has observed no change in Israel’s overall administrative detention policy and fears that these practices will only continue without significant pressure from the international community.
Nearly 1,500 Palestinian prisoners had refused food to try to achieve changes in Israeli policy, including an abolishment of administrative detention, where prisoners are held for months and even years without trial.