RAMALLAH, August 5 (JMCC) - Hundreds of Israeli soldiers raided the unrecognized Bedouin village of Araqib in the Negev Wednesday, demolishing homes for the second time in days.
Four people were injured and six detained in the violence that accompanied the new demolition, said village residents.
We were able to help rebuild what was destroyed last week, said a spokesperson for the Regional Council for the Unrecognized Villages in the Negev, Salem Alquili. Our response to the new demolitions will be to rebuild what they tear down. As long as we are alive, we will not be deterred from living in our homes.
There are 45 Bedouin villages in the Negev, home to 100,000 people, that Israel refuses to recognize.
Officials have planned a nature park on the lands of Araqib and have zoned the land as public property, rejecting villagers claims that they were on the land before Israel was created in 1948.