RAMALLAH, July 29 (JMCC) - An attorney for families whose homes are threatened with demolition in Isawiya
, in occupied East Jerusalem
, says the demolitions are expected to begin on Sunday.
Attorney Sami Ersheid, who represents the 19 original owners of the buildings, said that each structure is home to “at least three or four families – children of the original owners – who make up more than 60 families altogether.Read
“Based on the court’s rulings, the municipality is planning to start the demolitions on the first of August,” he told The Post.
Ersheid said he had already filed an appeal with the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court, where proceedings have been unfolding for a year.
“We’ve asked for a one-year delay in order to advance an alternative plan for the neighborhood,” Ersheid said.
“In fact, there was already an alternative plan that was broached for the area, which would have solved the legal issues there and prevented the buildings from being demolished,” he said. “It was considered by a number of authorities, including the Interior Ministry, but in the end, the plan was not accepted.
“And the court-ordered demolitions are now being advanced.”
The municipality declined to comment on the demolitions so as not to give details of impending house-demolitions.
the story at the Jerusalem Post